- when: Friday, August 5, 1.30 PM
- where: Valley Performing Arts Center, Los Angeles, CA
- when: Saturday, August 27, 7.00 PM
- where: Marcus Center, Milwaukee, WI
- when: Thursday, September 15, 8.00 PM
- where: Angel Orensanz Center, 172 Norfolk St., New York, NY
Metropolis Ensemble presents “Renderings”, at which I’ll play my re-conditioned Mozart concerto, alongside new works by Vivian Fung and Ray Lustig. There will be a lavish reception beforehand sponsored by the wonderful ‘wichcraft.
- when: Friday, October 7, 8.00 PM
- where: University of South Carolina School of Music, 813 Assembly Street, Charleston, SC
I’m excited to go on my first out-of-towner with ACME. We’ll be playing a bunch of things including my old favorite, Jacob Druckman’s Come Round.
- when: Saturday, October 15, 7.30 PM
- where: Miller Theater, 2960 Broadway, New York, NY
Eighth Blackbird (well, ⅓ of Eighth Blackbird) will play Crashing Through Fences on the SONiC Festival at Miller Theater. Also on the program: music by Amy Beth Kirsten, Dan Visconti, and Caleb Burhans.
- when: Sunday, October 16, 7.30 PM
- where: Miller Theater, 2960 Broadway, New York, NY
I’ll be “guesting” (not a word) with the wonderful NOW Ensemble on this marathon concert curated by the JACK Quartet. It’s also part of the ambitious SONiC Festival, which is in turn curated by Derek Bermel and Stephen Gosling. Hm, hierarchical curators.
- when: Sunday, October 23, 4.30–7.30 PM
- where: 8 Old Fulton St. #1-S, Brooklyn, NY
Sleeping Giant Fall Fundraiser! Featuring performances by Mellissa Hughes, Ashley Bathgate, and members of Sleeping Giant. Food, drinks, and festivities. Come on down! We would love to see you.
Admission is by donation. $40 suggested donation ($20 for students). If you would like to attend, please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
- when: Tuesday, October 25, 7.00 PM
- where: Joe’s Pub, 425 Lafayette St., New York, NY
ACME is playing a concert of music curated by the online composerly community Sequenza21, including premières from James Holt, Rob Deemer, and David Smooke. And hey, look here, it’s free!
- when: Friday, November 4 and Saturday, November 5
- where: Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, NJ
Two concerts at the IAS with Derek Bermel. Music by Timo, Derek, Ives, Poulenc, Copland, Schumann.
- when: Saturday, November 19
- where: Manhattan School of Music, New York, NY
The world première of Two River Songs with Daniel Schwait (baritone) and
Wells Andres Tema Watstein (violin).
- when: Sunday, November 20, 11.00 AM to 11.00 PM
- where: The Greene Space, 160 Varick St., New York, NY
As part of WQXR’s Beethoven Awareness Month, they’re hosting a marathon performance of all 32 piano sonatas at the Greene Space. I’ll be playing two, in two different “segments” of the program: Op. 53 (the “Waldstein”) and my personal favorite, Op. 78.
- when: Friday, November 25, 8.00 PM
- where: Liberty Hall, Dublin, Ireland
If you happen to find yourself in Dublin, the excellent Crash Ensemble will be playing my piece… wait for it… Crashing Through Fences. The program is on a “young Americans” theme and looks to be quite interesting: Mazzoli, Ueno, Friar, and a heaping helping of Muhly.
- when: Tuesday, November 29, 7.30 PM
- where: Public Assembly, 70 North 6th Street, Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY
- when: Friday, December 2, 8.00 PM
- where: Longy School of Music, Cambridge, MA
- when: Tuesday, January 17, 8.30 PM
- where: De Link, Tilburg, The Netherlands
Cellist Hannah Collins puts together a program of Dutch and American favorites including I Found it by the Sea, which she commissioned.
- when: Thursday, January 19, 8 PM
- where: Sprague Hall at Yale University, New Haven, CT
I’ll be playing the wonderful British composer Martin Suckling’s Schubert-inspired Lieder Ohne Worte.
- when: Saturday, January 21, 8.30 and 10.30 PM
- where: The Allen Room, Jazz at Lincoln Center, 33 West 60th St. New York, NY
Actor/singer Michael Cerveris on the American Songbook series at Lincoln Center. I’m accompanying him in one of my favorite pieces, Barber’s Knoxville: Summer of 1915.
- when: Saturday, January 21, and Sunday, January 22, 7.30 and 2.30 PM
- where: Sinclair Auditorium, 1220 First Avenue NE, Cedar Rapids, IA and West High School 2901 Melrose Avenue, Iowa City, IA
The excellent pianist Conor Hanick performs Beethoven’s Emperor concerto in his native Iowa, featuring a big new first movement cadenza I wrote for him. Oh wait, that was supposed to be a surprise.
- when: Thursday, January 26, 7.00 PM
- where: Gershwin Hotel, 7 East 27th Street New York, NY
Cellist Ashley Bathgate and pianist Vicky Chow, both of Bang on a Can fame, play Fast Flows the River at the Gershwin Hotel.
- when: Saturday, January 28, 9.00 PM (doors open at 8)
- where: 92YTribeca, 200 Hudson St. New York, NY
LAST MINUTE SHOW! I’ll be playing an hour-long solo set on the theme “songs without words” featuring music by Martin Suckling, Schubert, and me, Timo. Sharing the bill is the great percussion-cello-viola trio New Morse Code: Mike Compitello, Hannah Collins, and Anne Lanzilotti.
- when: Saturday, February 4, 7.30 PM
- where: Waterloo-Cedar Falls Symphony, Gallagher-Bluedorn Great Hall, 8201 Dakota Street, Cedar Falls, IA
- when: Thursday, March 1, 6.30 PM, and Sunday, March 4, 4.00 PM
- where: Brooklyn Philharmonic, Brooklyn Heights Public Library (280 Cadman Plaza West) and Dweck Center of the Brooklyn Public Library Central Branch (10 Grand Army Plaza), Brooklyn, NY
Two free chamber concerts by Brooklyn Philharmonic players, featuring author Phillip Lopate on what it is to live and work in Brooklyn. Pianist Molly Morkoski will perform At the River.
- when: Friday, March 2, 8.00 PM
- where: Symphony Space, 2537 Broadway at 95th Street, New York, NY
The world première of my new piece Trade Secrets for the wonderful Cadillac Moon Ensemble.
- when: Friday, March 23, 9.00 PM and Saturday, March 24, 3.00 PM
- where: Beyond Baroque, 681 Venice Bl. Venice, CA
The young chamber orchestra Wild Up is playing some of my music on these concerts, the theme of which is Brooklyn vs. Los Angeles (new music edition).
- when: Saturday, March 24, 8.00 PM and Sunday, March 25, 7.00 PM
- where: Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra, Los Angeles, CA
I’m writing/playing a new piano and chamber orchestra piece for Jeffrey Kahane & co.! I’ll also be playing my Mozart re-something.
- when: Friday, April 13, 8.00
- where: Buckley Recital Hall, Amherst College, Amherst, MA
- when: Friday, May 4, TBA
- where: Brooklyn Academy of Music, Brooklyn, NY
Performing with NOW Ensemble in (almost) my back yard.
- when: Friday, May 4, 8.00 PM
- where: Frederick Loewe Theatre, 35 W. 4th Street, New York, NY
The NYU Contemporary Ensemble is performing Trade Winds.
- when: Friday, May 11, 7.30 PM
- where: Newman Center, Denver, CO
I’ll be opening for the amazing Brad Mehldau Trio at the Newman Center. Who knows what could happen?
- when: Monday, May 14, 8.00 PM
- where: Pratt Manhattan Gallery, 144 W. 14th St., New York, NY
- when: Thursday, May 24, 8.00 PM
- where: Issue Project Room, 22 Boerum Place, Brooklyn, NY
- when: Tuesday, May 29, 7.30 PM
- where: Le Poißon Rouge, 158 Bleecker St., New York, NY
Solo piano concert at LPR. Music of Ted, Timo, Ingram, Schumann, Brahms, and maybe something else? TBD?
- when: Saturday, June 2, 8.00 PM
- where: The Players Club, 16 Gramercy Park S., New York, NY
A little Shaw-centric concert to cap this year’s Project Shaw with the wonderful mezzo-soprano Rachel Calloway. We’ll be doing songs by Wagner and Elgar, and I’ll play some solo piano music by Brahms and a couple of my own pieces.
- when: Friday, June 8, 10.00 PM
- where: Wigmore Hall, 36 Wigmore St., London, UK
Making my London début with a late-night solo concert at Wigmore Hall!
- when: Wednesday, June 20, 8.00 PM and 10.00 PM
- where: The Stone, Ave. C & 2nd St., New York, NY
Sleeping Giant summer show!
- when: Saturday, June 23, 1.15 PM
- where: Cali School of Music, Montclair, New Jersey
Y’all know you want to come see my lecture/performance “How and why to play contemporary music” at the 2012 Taubman Piano Seminar.